Your Mother Tongue


on , , , , ,

4 comments

Words of your mother tongue always, somehow, sound far intense than a foreign language like this, for example. Writing about everyone suddenly seems almost impossible, writing about ordinary people and strangers seems to be like a battle you have to fight, let alone writing about the ones that trigger moments of insane heartbeats and endless stuttering of every word you used to know by heart. These people rest within the words of a foreign language only, not your own, because penning them down and releasing their being from inside of you is just as if someone were tearing at your soul, robbing your insides and leaving you empty, horribly hollow and weak and panicked and .. and everything. Insanity.
So you, then, start to write things down slowly, about something else, about life, only the life of other people, not yours, the lives of things, the lives of the ones you never even met. Your own language becomes a threat to you, and once you start losing your way it all crawls back at you back to the road of panic attacks and unknown phobias. Could you ever be phobic to your own language? I guess it happens with writers; we only need words that dig too deep and yet they kill us, then we choose silence that also kills us. You see, writers die either way, because both words and silence kill. They creep once they get the chance to, without the slightest bit of tenderness, without a bit of pity. They take everything along their conquering, like sweeping your mind and heart enjoyably. Defeat.
Then comes the foreign language, like now, like how I’m writing this without really wanting to but without any other choice not to. To write about you is my own little and poor hideout, in my own world and with my lonely words that could never transform themselves into Arabic to let you know that you, and you alone, led me to falling in love with my language yet not ever having the courage to write about you using its words and its beauty and its holy magic. I would have my hands shivering and my chest rising up and down in a pace, and I’d pant and pant as if I were about to meet you the next moment. Then I stop because it hurts, or it hurts so much that it doesn’t hurt anymore; and it’s crazy and cold at once.


I hope I can never write you in my own language. Don’t let me release you so that I wouldn’t imprison myself unwillingly. Please.





4 comments

Leave a Reply

Just say it.